Cat rushed to vets after being doused in diesel

Honey the cat
Honey the cat
0
Have your say

A cat was saved after being found doused in diesel in the middle of the night.

Honey the cat was rushed to the vets after returning to her Harbury home stinking of diesel oil and in danger of poisoning herself by trying to clean off the mess.

Honey being bathed by Avonvale nurse Sarah Bleach.

Honey being bathed by Avonvale nurse Sarah Bleach.

Pet owner, Andrea Mann immediately got in touch with vets at Avonvale who rushed to wash the pet in a detergent to dissolve the oil.

Vet Mark Taylor from the Warwick practice, said after getting a call around 5am, Honey was cleaned and checked for any signs of liver damage which may have been caused by the toxins.

“I got the call shortly after 5am saying that Honey had run in through the cat flap smelling strongly of diesel,” he said.

“I told them not allow her to lick herself as diesel oil is toxic and would have been lethal had it got inside her.

I got the call shortly after 5am saying that Honey had run in through the cat flap smelling strongly of diesel

Mark Taylor

“Two days later we checked her for liver damage and I’m pleased to say that we had got to her just in time.

“She has completely recovered thanks to the prompt action of Andrea and her flatmate, who wrapped her in a towel to prevent her licking herself.”

Andrea, who has owned the 8-year-old rescue cat for five years, said the diesel may have come from a farm or where work was being carried out on a nearby railway.