HS2 opposition lost their fight in the Supreme Court on Wednesday after a unanimous ruling by top judges.
The court - the highest in the UK - rejected anti-HS2 campaigners’ appeal to force further consideration of Government proposals for the high-speed rail link.
Penny Gaines, chair of Stop HS2 which called for more scrutiny of the contentious plans, described the ruling as “disappointing”.
Joe Rukin,Stop HS2 campaign manager said: “The court has ruled on a point of law, saying that HS2 hasn’t acted illegally, but the fact remains that HS2 Ltd have acted unfairly and irresponsibly right from the start.
“We will continue to fight, and in the end, we will win.”
The Supreme Court unanimously dismissed both appeals brought before it regarding HS2 in October last year.
All seven judges agreed with the Court of Appeal and High Court that the Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive did not apply to HS2.
The court decided it was not necessary to refer any EU law questions to the Court of Justice of the EU.
Transport Minister Baroness Kramer said of the ruling: “We will now continue to press ahead with the delivery of HS2.
“The new north-south line will provide extra space for more trains and more passengers to travel on the network, delivering additional capacity where it is most needed.
“HS2 will also generate thousands of jobs across the UK and provide opportunities to boost skills.”