DCSIMG

Heater left 94-year-old trapped in Kenilworth blaze

editorial image

editorial image

A High Street fire last week was started by a portable electric heater, it has been found.

Firefighters rescued a 94-year-old woman from her home on May 14 after the fire started in a kitchen.

Smoke quickly spread through the building, blocking her escape route.

Firefighters rescued the woman from a first floor window and she was lead down a ladder to safety.

The crew administered oxygen and further care was provided by the ambulance service before she was taken to hospital for treatment.

Keith McDermott from the fire service said: “Portable electric heaters can be fatal if left unattended.

“We have been offering advice and information to residents to help ensure they stay safe and know what to do in case of a fire.” Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck for details.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page