Essential work to repair the carriageway and install a £65,000 pedestrian crossing on High Street and Jury Street in Warwick town centre has been completed with days to spare.
Official notices warning the two adjoining roads would be closed for a month from January 6th proved over-cautious.
Late on Friday night the work was completed by the county council’s main contractors Balfour Beatty and their sub-contractor MacDonalds.
Traffic experts knew from bitter experience that they had to advertise a longer than strictly necessary road closure in case of poor winter weather.
Earlier this week Cllr Peter Butlin, who is responsible for transport and planning, said: “I am delighted that this work has been completed two weeks earlier than planned.
“I want to express my gratitude to the drivers, residents and businesses affected - their co-operation and patience ensured that the works were able to be completed in the minimum amount of time.
In Jury Street Spanish restaurant owner Malcolm Cook said: “I was glad to see the contractors working at the weekend to get this job done.
“And we’re also grateful to our customers and local residents for continuing to support us so that bookings were maintained.”
At hairdressers Nash White in High Street, stylist Molly Smith said: “Some of our customers were a little bit late arriving because of the disruption but we didn’t really see a downfall in business.”
Rebecca Swift, campaigns officer for the Royal National Institute for the Blind, is delighted a puffin type of touch and sound traffic light crossing has been installed near Swan Street.
She said she was pleased the county council had listened to the calls of the RNIB and the Guide Dogs for the Blind charity.
Ms Swift said: “The lack of a safe crossing made it extremely difficult, and often very dangerous, for people with sight loss to cross this road safely.”