Shipping out: a new home for Leamington’s Bath Place Community Venture
IT’S been forced to move twice since 2009, now a Leamington community centre may have found the solution to its accomodation problem - shipping containers.
The future looked uncertain when Bath Place Community Venture moved out of Leamington’s former library last month as landlords Warwickshire College prepared to sell the building for flats. It had been forced out of its original headquarters after a fire in 2009, and it looked like Leamington had no spare buildings for the venture, which has been helping disadvantaged people since the early 1970s.
Now the venture is opening a temporary office at the Band Factory in Althorpe Street and is in negotiations over premises in Clemens Street and land behind, with its Veggie Table café and community room likely to reopen in converted shipping containers.
The venture is hoping to have services running in a fortnight.
Board members at the venture are due to discuss the plans today (Wednesday), and Bath Place chairman of trustees David Williams said he was “reasonably optimistic” about the future, adding: “We have moved forward.”
· Read more in Friday’s Courier.
- Conservatives lose overall control of Warwickshire County Council but no coalition planned
- Lions hail Southam fete ‘best ever’
- Outstanding production at Leamington’s Loft is full of warmth and humour
- 209 homes plan near Leamington will now go ahead
- Warwick youth theatre group’s magical play keeps audience spellbound
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Leamington
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 13 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 8 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 8 mph
Wind direction: West