Historic bells at a church in Leek Wootton are ringing again thanks to generous donations.
Seven bells at All Saints’ Church have been brought back to life and visitors to the church had a once in a lifetime oppportunity of seeing them before they were hung.
Tuning and restoration work was made possible from response to the 2014 Bell Restoration Appeal.
The appeal was launched by Leek Wootton Parochial Church Council last year to raise funds for restoration work on the bells and bell tower of All Saints’ Church.
Children from All Saints’ Primary School learned about the bells and the local Beaver Scouts held a sleepover to assist in minding the bells while they were in the body of the church rather than the belfry.
The retired “Ancient Bell” will now only be used to chime the hours of the clock, the clock hammer causing less damage than ringing with a clapper. Other original bells have been added to with a second-hand tenor and newly cast treble bell, meaning that a peal of six bells will shortly be rung out across the parish and for many years to come.
They were were removed and sent to Loughborough to be refurbished.
Lesley Eldridge, of Leek Wootton History Group, said: “The current tower was built in the 1790s and the bells were last refurbished in 1921.”
Last year was designated as the “Year for the Bells” at All Saints’ and in June an appeal was launched to raise the £40,000 to £50,000 required.
An open weekend was recently held to celebrate the work.