Man jailed for making threats to policewoman

Leamington Justice Centre, where Warwick Crown Court sits
Leamington Justice Centre, where Warwick Crown Court sits

A man who threatened an off-duty policewoman and her husband who gave evidence against his girlfriend at court in Leamington has been jailed.

Craig Harvey had called the officer “a lying f***ing pig” before waiting outside the Leamington magistrates building where he threatened to “terrorise” her, her husband and a third witness.

Harvey, 29, of Edward Steet, Hinckley, pleaded guilty to three charges of threatening to take revenge when he appeared at Warwick Crown Court on Thursday.

Prosecutor Sarah Allen told the court that in May last year the policewoman, her husband and another woman, had to attend the magistrates court to give evidence in a case against Harvey’s partner who was convicted.

The defendant later left court and told Harvey, who was in the waiting area with at least one of their young children, what had happened.

He became annoyed and could be hear from the public gallery shouting towards the officer: “lying f***ing pig; I know your face.”

She said he repeated the phrase several times and after refusing to leave, was removed from the building by security.

When the witnesses left around 20 minutes later, Harvey ran up to them an threatened: “I know you. I’ll have you in time. I’m going to terrorise you. I can have you any time.”

Miss Allen told the court that when he was arrested a few weeks later, Harvey accepted approaching the three, but claimed he simply said they had been “out of order”.

Simon Hunka, defending, said: “These offences are often quite difficult to pitch in terms of their seriousness.

“This all happened within the same period of time while his temper was still up. Everything he did was in the heat of the moment, and he had no intention of carrying out the threats.

“This is, of course, a bad offence, and it was unpleasant, but it all arose out of a loss of temper. He felt a sense of injustice when his girlfriend was convicted. There was no calculation.”

But Recorder Anthony Potter said: “There was a cooling-off period, and he waited and went to find them as they left through a side door.”

Jailing Harvey, Recorder Potter told him: “I quite accept you feel a degree of loyalty towards your partner because you credit her for you turning your life around.

“But what was in no sense laudable was your reaction to her conviction.

“You quite gratuitously shouted out and I am quite sure with the intention that they should feel fear.

“Outside you ran towards them in a threatening and frightening manner and threatened that you knew where to find them and that you would terrorise them.

“They were not to know you are not a man with a record for violence and had no intention of carrying out those threats.”

Harvey, who has a number of previous convictions, mainly for dishonesty, was jailed for eight months.