Murder inquiry report kept under wraps

Warwick and Leamington MP James Plaskitt is to meet with Warwickshire Police's second-in-command to discuss a report about the way the force handled the Jack Macleod murder probe.

Mr Plaskitt had been expecting a copy of the review by retired West Midlands detective superintendent Malcolm Ross to arrive by post.

Instead he has been invited to a meeting with county deputy chief constable Andy Parker the findings - and will not be allowed to take the document away for further scrutiny.


We'd like to hear your views on this story. You can send us your comments by simply clicking on this email:

This is what I think


If you have a story for our newsdesk, please click on the following link:

Click here to email your report

Mr Plaskitt has taken up concerns raised by Jack's mother Sheena and step-father Ewan Macleod, whose complaints are being investigated by the force under supervision from the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The parents have lost confidence in the police's handling of the investigation - which senior officers insist has not been closed.

Mr Plaskitt, who has been forwarded responses by the family to more than ten points they raised with Warwickshire Police, said: "I am going to set that meeting up as quickly as possible."

The Ross report, released earlier this month, made 17 recommendations and highlighted areas of concern.

Warwickshire Police is keeping the document out of the public domain on the grounds it could adversely affect an inquest provisionally set for November 17 and the IPCC investigation, which has no set time scale.

It has turned down a Freedom of Information request by the Courier.

But Mr Plaskitt had previously thought he would be sent a copy.

A police spokeswoman said: "Mr Plaskitt won't be able to take the report away, but he will be able to see and discuss it.

"We have to be very careful about the contents for the same reason we can't release it publicly at the moment.

"There is a genuine risk of prejudicing the coroner's inquest."

Jack, 17, also known as Jack Fisher, went missing in the early hours of December 4 after a night out with friends.

He was last seen on the riverbank by Adelaide Road bridge.

Jack's body was found several hundred yards downstream on January 3, but a post-mortem proved inconclusive.

A 17-year-old suspect, of Lighthorne Heath, was arrested on suspicion of murder three days after Jack disappeared and taken off police bail in May.