A pet rabbit had a lucky escape from a house fire at Warwick Gates yesterday morning after smoke detectors alerted neighbours to the blaze.
Firefighters from Warwickshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service were surprised upon entering the house at 11:20am when they were faced with Lilly the rabbit, whose cage was on fire.
Luckily for Lilly, the fish tank directly above her had begun to crack through the heat from the fire and water was running on to the cage.
Response Commander for Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service, Mark Rose said: “This incident is yet another example that working smoke alarms save lives.
“On this occasion, it was the life of Lilly the house rabbit.
“The residents were at work at the time of the fire, but I am sure that they are relieved that Lilly is safe.
“Had there not been a working smoke alarm in the property, then we could have been reporting on a very different story.”
Thanks to the early warning given by the smoke alarms, firefighters were on the scene quickly and were able to contain the fire to the front room.
The property only suffered minimal smoke damage.
The fire is believed to have been caused by combustible material being left too close to an extension cable which was powering up the fish tank.
The fire service is advising homeowners to always ensure that plug sockets are not overloaded and clear of combustible materials, as well as regularly checking for worn or frayed wires.