Anderson is spot on for Radford Semele as the league mourns Thomas

A minute's silence was held for Leamington & District League stalwart Tracey Thomas ahead of the Anthony Eden Gents Hairdresser Division One Cup final on Sunday.

Thursday, 30th March 2017, 11:45 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:52 pm

Thomas, a former winner of the Courier unsung hero award, was secretary of the league for close to 50 years having previously served in the same role at Lockheed Leamington for ten years.

Hailed as “the most committed man in local football” he died in Myton Hospice last week.

Radford Semele took on Warwick Wanderers in the final at a windswept Stockton FC and twice had efforts ruled out in normal time, one for offside and the other for an infringement.

However, they were finally rewarded eight minutes into extra-time when Mark Anderson netted from the spot to break the deadlock and comfortably held on to lift the cup.

Westlea Wanderers moved into the final of the Cancer Research Cup with a 4-2 win at Division Two side Radford Albion.

The Division One leaders took control early on with Ryan Billington opening the scoring inside the first minute.

Jake Montgomery and Lee Scott were also on target for Wanderers in the first half, with Craig Watkin notching nine minutes into the second period.

Edward Smith and Sion Humphries replied for the hosts.

There was an upset in the second round of the Cancer Research Supplementary Cup with Division Four side Lillington Juniors thrashing Stockton of Division Two 5-1.

Tarik El Hage was the standout performer for Lillington, netting a hat-trick, with Ryan Cranton and Alessandro Zanchi also on target.

Mitch Coleman replied for Stockton.

Wolseley UK also produced something of a shock, knocking out Foresters Arms who ply their trade a division higher.

A Corey Edwards double did the damage for the Division Four strugglers in a 2-1 win, Matthew Willoughby replying from the spot for the Division Three outfit.

An Ed Kostiuk strike was enough to send Harbury Albion through at the expense of Liberal Club C.

Leamington Hibs eased to a 4-1 win at Chadwick End in the second round of the George Dutton Cup.

Ashley Kitchen scored twice for the top-flight side, with Darren Proctor and Cameron Brown also on the mark.

Tez Morton notched Chadwick End’s response.

Carl Taylor’s 76th-minte penalty gave Ettington Rovers a 3-2 win at Stockton Reserves in the first round of the Andy Campbell Cup.

William Clark and Tom Gardner had earlier put Ettington 2-1 up, only for George Warrilow to draw Stockton level with his second of the morning.

In Division One, goals from Johnny Adair and Jordan Cox were not enough to give Bishops Itchington all three points at home to Wellesbourne, who earned only their third point of the campaign with a 2-2 draw.

HRI Wellesbourne boosted their title hopes in Division Two courtesy of a 2-1 win at home to Khalsa Reserves.

Greg Eales and George Crawford put HRI 2-0 up before David Benton’s 87th-minute goal made for an anxious finale for the hosts.

Top played bottom at Woroxton, with the hosts holding the leaders to a 2-2 draw.

Wayne Jones and Gary Roberts were on target for Wroxton, with Ryan Woodward and an Ashley Rowley penalty providing the replies.

Carl Meah scored a hat-trick as Leamington FC Vets thrashed Real Barston 7-2.

Dave Care scored twice for the third-placed side, with Richard Grainger and Lee Constable also on target.

Robert Jolly and James McDowey responded.

In Division Four, Athletico Murphy’s moved five points clear at the top with a 4-2 win at Kineton S&SC, Ruben Bastos scoring twice.