Kenilworth get the job done at Bs in a forgettable encounter

Kenilworth gained their first Midlands One West away win of the season courtesy of a 27-22 success at Berkswell & Balsall, but the game will not live long in the memory, writes Dean Stephenson.

Friday, 18th October 2013, 11:49 am
Bobby Thompson, scorer of Kenilworths match-winning try, in possession against Kidderminster.

A dull affair deteriorated as the rain lashed down, with the post-match talk centred around unsportsmanlike behaviour rather than the rugby that was played.

With the slope in their favour in the first period, Kenilworth made large territorial gains orchestrated by the promptings of Gareth Renowden, supported by back-row forwards Jack Gibson and Bobby Thompson.

Even at this early stage the game was scrappy, with dropped passes and untidy lineouts stopping the flow.

The hosts struck first with a dummy switch fooling the Kenilworth centre partnership and allowing James Fahy to score a try close to the posts which was converted by Dan Burke.

The momentum quickly swung as a missed penalty from Bs and subsequent lineout steal from Kenilworth allowed the visitors to break from deep and set up a try for Simon Tyler.

Tom Kendall, who had another perfect kicking day, added the conversion to tie up the scores.

Berkswell again used their back division to break through and restore their seven-point advantage but Kenilworth responded from the restart with Gibson breaking the gain line and feeding Bobby Thompson, who ploughed over from the 22. Kendall converted to level again at 14 -14.

A high tackle on fly-half Alex Selby then allowed Kendall to step up and give Kenilworth a 17-14 interval lead.

The second half started in fine style for Kenilworth with a three-pointer for Kendall but an indiscretion from their forwards allowed Burke to close the gap back to three points.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Thompson scored what proved to be a decisive try for the visitors.

The number eight stole a Bs lineout and broke a couple of tackles before touching down for a converted score and a ten-point cushion.

Both captains were spoken to by referee Dene Randell as the quality of the game deterioated and a set-piece scrum resulted in a fracas which involved a number of players and also saw Bs’ coach called to account.

Gibson left the field with facial injuries and, after the scrum was reset, Bs scored a pushover try in the corner.

They failed to add the extras and despite winning a penalty in a promising position in the dying seconds, a knock-on ended both the attack and the match.

 Kenilworth Colts claimed a 71-12 win at Leamington in a match that was marred by a serious ankle injury to the visitors’ Jason Ford.

Matt Slater led the way for Kenilworth with four tries.

Dan Rink crossed for three, with Will Field (2), Tom Clitherow and Cory Joy also touching down.

Zac Templeton added five conversions.