Kenilworth 48 Leek 10: Kenilworth bring back memories of their early-season promise

Ed Hannam scored Kenilworth's bonus-point try as they beat Leek 48-10 in their final home fixture of the campaign.
Ed Hannam scored Kenilworth's bonus-point try as they beat Leek 48-10 in their final home fixture of the campaign.

After a run of defeats put a dent in their very promising start to the season, Kenilworth chose their final Glasshouse Lane fixture of the campaign to get back to winning ways.

After a slow start to the game, Kenilworth picked up the pace and advanced to within five metres of the Leek line. The visitors conceded a penalty as they tried to slow down the play-the-ball and Gareth Renowden’s quickly taken tap allowed him to spin the ball out wide for Josh Hickman to dot down for the opening try.

Leek looked to get back on terms but their intensity was well matched by Kenilworth and Alex Selby beat two players before being hauled down after turnover ball.

The pressure continued with Leek using the rolling maul to pin back their hosts for a ten-minute spell and allowing them to get on the board with a penalty.

The three-pointer marked an increase in the intensity of the game with a series of huge hits from both sides as both tried to gain the upper hand.

And it was Kenilworth who struck the decisive blow, winning a lineout 25 metres out and quickly distributing the ball to Nick Jones who strolled in for the try. The successful kick plus an earlier penalty extended the lead to 12 points.

Leek looked to claw back some of the deficit from the restart and only a fine last-ditch tackle from Charlie Preston prevented a score.

Robust defending from Kenilworth then forced a Leek error and Joe Yeomanson was the first to react, hacking on and then taking advantage of a kind bounce to score Ks’ third.

Mikkel Andresson was having a hugely influential game at number eight for the hosts but he could not plug the holes as Leek forced a score against the run of play to pull the interval score back to 22-10.

A pedestrian start to the second half was quickly forgotten when a break from their 22 saw Kenilworth make 50m. From the ensuing ruck, Selby found the perfect pass to send Ed Hannam over for the bonus-point try.

Kenilworth weathered the resultant Leek storm, with another turnover allowing them to break from deep. Selby then found Yeomanson from the breakdown for another try.

Arthur Haynes was having another fine afternoon and his reward was soon in coming, more fast-break rugby from Hickman sending the winger over.

With the game almost over there was still time for one of the game’s key contributors to put the exclamation mark on the result.

Andresson took the ball inside the 22 and stepped a defender and handed off another to score near the posts.

The successful kick was the last scoring action as Kenilworth ran out convincing victors, producing a timely reminder of some of the fine rugby the side had produced when injuries and unavailability had not got in the way.