Kenilworth have to do it all again after injury to ref

Referee Arron Williams bows to the inevitable and abandons the game at half-time. Picture: Willie Whitesmith
Referee Arron Williams bows to the inevitable and abandons the game at half-time. Picture: Willie Whitesmith
  • Midlands One West
  • Hereford 10 Kenilworth 0
  • Match abandoned after 40 minutes due to injury to the referee

Kenilworth’s already rescheduled match at Hereford was abandoned on Saturday with just 40 minutes played after the referee was unable to continue due to an ankle injury, writes Sophie Freestone.

The scoreline read 10-0 to Hereford when play was halted, but despite the deficit, Kenilworth had the upper hand as the first half came to a close.

The home side took an early lead courtesy of a seventh-minute try from number eight James Harris.

Hereford had been awarded a kickable penalty in front of the posts but instead chose to go for touch.

After a lineout and series of scrums, Harris crossed from the base of the scrum to give the home side a five-point advantage.

Kenilworth then had great field position inside the Hereford half but a strong scrum against the head from the home side allowed the hosts to clear their lines to halfway.

A penalty kick to the corner then gave Hereford another attacking opportunity just inside the Kenilworth 22 and a drive from the lineout resulted in a second try after 12 minutes from Lloyd Willcox.

The conversion was again missed.

Kenilworth eventually relieved the pressure thanks to a great claim from flanker Ollie Burnham which earned his side a penalty.

Josh Hickman duly kicked to touch and this led to a period of play which saw Kenilworth create some good field positions inside the Hereford half.

However, the visitors were unable to make the most of their opportunities with the ball lost at the subsequent lineout, before later being penalised for holding on.

This gave possession back to Hereford who took play back inside the visitors’ half where they were held up on the line.

It was during this phase of play that referee Arron Williams suffered his ankle injury after a collision with a player.

He initially soldiered on after receiving treatment and Hereford continued to trouble the Kenilworth defence before scrum-half Gareth Renowden made a superb tackle to halt a further attack from the home side.

With just under ten minutes to play in the first half, Kenilworth’s fortunes started to change, with Hereford prop Ben Hillstead seeing yellow for illegal use of the feet.

The one-man advantage ignited Kenilworth’s attack and a great driving maul took them right up to the try line.

A scrum resulted, but Renowden knocked the ball on as they approached the tryline to bring the half, and ultimately the game, to a close, with the referee declaring himself unfit to continue.

With less than 60 minutes played the match will be rescheduled, and is likely to be replayed on March 12.