Warwick's men targeting title after wrapping up promotion

Warwick's men beat Old Silhillians 6-3 at Warwick School to clinch promotion from Midlands Division Two.

Thursday, 10th March 2016, 11:07 am
Updated Thursday, 10th March 2016, 11:11 am
Warwick's Oliver Hobbs torments the Silhillians goalkeeper. Picture: Morris Troughton

The victory made it 18 matches without defeat for Warwick who can wrap up the title with a win from one of their final two matches.

Warwick broke the deadlock from a short corner which was slotted home by Timmy Williams-Ellis before Phil Foster doubled the advantage after an assist from captain Seb Fleet.

Top-scorer Martyn Stickley added the third from a well-worked counter-attack before Williams-Ellis grabbed his second to put Warwick 4-0 inside 20 minutes.

The visitors did not lie down, however, and took advantage of some lacklustre defending and elements of good fortune to half the deficit.

A third before half-time brought it back to 4-3 and resulted in strong words from Warwick coach Dave Bryce at the interval.

Suitably chastened. Warwick reasserted their control, with Williams-Ellis completing his hat-trick and Bryce rounding off the scoring.

Warwick Men’s 3rds suffered a 6-2 defeat at top-of-the-table Lichfield in Midlands Division One.

Warwick fell 2-0 down early on but a brilliant solo run from Andrew Dellow set up Alp Shaw for a simple tap-in to bring it back to 2-1 at the break.

Lichfield benefited from a couple of marginal decisions to move 5-1 ahead, but Warwick kept battling and were rewarded when Dellow scored at the second attempt after neat build-up play involving Shaw and Dan Kingman.

Lichfield added a sixth to give the scoreline a flattering look.

Promotion-chasing Warwick 4ths secured a 2-1 win over Olton and West Warwick thanks to strikes from Archie Gale and Dan Honey-Smith.

Goals from Freddie Hird and Will Astley saw the men’s 5ths into half-time level against promotion-chasing Northampton Saints 5ths.

However, that was as good as it got for Warwick as Saints wrapped up a 6-2 win with four second-half goals.

Warwick advanced to the last 16 of the National Mixed Cup for the second successive season thanks to a 4-1 win against Harbourne.

Goals from Jelly Barrett, Blue McWhirter, Kirstin Bryce and John MacDonald secured the victory.

Warwick Women’s 1sts’ chances of a top-three finish in Midlands Division Two appear to have evaporated after a 1-0 defeat at home to Stourport.

There was little between the sides in the opening half, with attempts on goal at a premium and the scrappy nature of the game continued after the interval.

Lucy McEvoy was at her creative best for Warwick, but the home side were unable to capitalise on her promptings.

Stourport piled on the pressure down the centre of the pitch but Emilia Dunkerely and Rebekah Weaver stood up to the task well.

However, with minutes to go, Stourport found a way through to score the only goal of the game.